Multifaceted senior editor, copy editor, writer, designer, freelancer and blogger with experience in newspapers, book publishing, publicity, marketing and the Web. Extensive experience in writing, editing and managing sections and staff/freelancers devoted to features; profiles; news; business; food; health; green issues; restaurant, CD and book reviews; trends; opinion and travel. Successfully launched/managed new products and spearheaded/implemented total graphic redesigns. Reputation for “outside-the-box” thinking and creativity. Proven track record of leadership skills, team building and exceeding company goals. Accomplished in AP style, InDesign, Microsoft Office and Word, Filemaker Pro, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Excel, QuarkXpress and online content management programs.
Marin Independent Journal, Novato, Calif.
Lifestyles editor, writer, copy editor, designer
Responsible for content, concept and editing of seven themed sections a week. Manage numerous staff writers, freelancers and interns; collaborate with photographers, designers, and city and managing editors. Develop and maintain relationships with sources, PR agencies and nonprofits. Intensive planning of editorial calendars. Research and author weekly columns as well as feature articles.
- • Successfully developed “voice,” freelance staff and features for new alternative weekly launched October 2008.
- • Winner (second place) in California Newspaper Publishers Association 2008 contest for lifestyles sections.
- • Judge in 2008 Associated Press features contest.
j., the Jewish news weekly of Northern California, San Francisco, Calif.
Copy editor, staff writer
Responsible for copy editing, writing, proofing and layout of news as well as features. Developed and maintained relationships with sources, PR agencies and nonprofits.
- • Contributed to complete newspaper graphic resign.
- • Represented newspaper in 10-day human-rights fact-finding trip to Germany through the German Consulate.
Press Democrat, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Responsible for copy editing, proofing, story selection and layout of news, features and opinion sections.
• Winner in New York Times Syndicate monthly copy editing contest.
FastForward, San Rafael, Calif.
Responsible for content, concept, editing, copy editing, writing, designing and proofing award-winning monthly magazine. Arranged media interviews for student journalists by working closely with various PR agencies. Intensive planning of editorial calendars.
- • Designed and executed house style.
- • Spearheaded and implemented total graphic redesign of weekly newspaper.
- • Aggressive outreach efforts resulted in exclusive stories.
- • Increased readership of target audience by outreach programs.
- • Pioneered contests that increased readership and participation, and attracted client tie-ins.
- • Skilled as a editor/mentor to numerous middle- and high-school-aged students.
Huffington Post, The Working Chronicles, Mommy Tracked; San Francisco Chronicle; Kashi; Wellsphere; Race & Roll; Hispanic magazine; NurseWeek; Photo District News; Contra Costa Times; Mill Valley Record; Lady Jaided; Times of the Americas; Miami/South Florida magazine; Midway magazine; Miami Review.
Freelance copy editor/proofreader
“Maryam's Persian Cookbook” (Palace Press) 2008.
Essay in “Knowing Pains: Women on Love, Sex and Work in Our 40s” (WingSpan, 2008).
Educational and credentials
- B.A. in Journalism, News-editorial sequence, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla.
- Society of Professional Journalists top student, news-editorial sequence.
- Classes in improvisation, comedy writing, voiceover.
- Co-leader of The Salon, a monthly co-ed discussion group in San Rafael.
- Long-time publicity coordinator and newsletter editor for Park Elementary School in Mill Valley.
- Reading volunteer at Martin Luther King School in Marin City.
- Author of two winning grant proposals, one of which resulted in finalist status for Pulitzer Prize.